Monday, May 6, 2013

Two Month Review

Wonder Boy has been enjoying his piano lessons for about 2 months now (8 lessons). I am *thrilled* to say that he is still enjoying every minute of them.

Now when he asks us if he can go upstairs to play, we don't know whether or not he means play video games or play piano - he's at least as likely to do one as the other.

The house is simply ALIVE with music these days! Not only is the boy banging away at his electric keyboard, but he's also getting ready for the end of the school year orchestra concert. The music they are playing this spring is much more advanced than the simple tunes they had prepared for the winter concert. The viola lines are quite lovely and I am really looking forward to hearing the whole orchestra come together to play.

But this post is about PIANO. And I have to admit, as much as I love the viola, the piano is my current favorite. Wonder Boy is showing a true aptitude for the instrument. It only takes a couple of times through a particular piece and he'll have it committed to memory. He has several books of music, but most of the time he plays from memory or picks out a tune by ear. We are thankful that both of his piano instructors don't find this a problem. In fact, they have both encouraged him quite a bit and we can see his love for music growing with each passing day!

He's still working on the "Turkish March" or "Rondo Alla Turca" (which is last movement of Mozart's Piano Sonata No. 11). This is the piece he picked out before starting his lessons. And the difference between then and now just amazes me (hold on ... the new video is coming). Listening to his progress just AMAZES me. I hope it's not just the Proud Parent Syndrome. Both of his instructors have told us that he has a natural feel for the piano. And it certainly seems that way to me. But you can see for yourself in the video below. Please note that this is just an iPad video. I'll try to get a clip with the good camera for our next update in a few months.

.

Turkish March - after 8 lessons

In addition to that piece, Wonder Boy is starting to branch out a bit more. On his last report card he brought home straight As, but to top that effort, he actually had two perfect 100 scores. And that required a special celebration (don't ya think?)! With the way he's been enjoying his piano lessons, it was not all that surprising when he asked for a new book of sheet music as his special reward for that effort. And it's been fun to watch him work through a few of the pieces.

We also had the opportunity to see the Brazos Valley Symphony Orchestra in April. It was a wonderful performance that we all enjoyed! We even had the fortune to be at a performance that featured a 17 year old cellist (a very talented young man). It really seemed to energize Wonder Boy. The following morning he greeted us with the program in hand. He had highlighted several pieces that he wanted loaded onto his iPod. And he even asked for the sheet music for the pieces as well.

In the end, his viola skills were not quite up to replicating what he had heard the night before, but it didn't take long at all before he was picking out the melodies on his piano.

As I have mentioned, I truly love having music such a prominent feature in the house. But even more than that ... I love seeing the love of music growing in the Boy. I have a sneaking suspicion that music will continue to play a prominent role in his life for many years to come. And that truly warms my heart.

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing! I love music and I would love to hear it playing all day long in my house. Sounds like he has a heart and a soul for music! I can only imagine how proud you are!

    ReplyDelete