Friday, September 18, 2020

Project 19 to 19: Day #3

Style By Mom

I have never been confused with a fasion plate. When it comes to personal grooming, I like to keep it simple. So I never intended to take on the task of taming WonderBoy's hair. But in his early years, he was overly wary of letting a barber or stylist get near him with scissors or clippers, so a few simple cuts at home seemed to be the best option.

About a week before this photo was taken, I strapped the Boy into his high chair, gave him some snacks to busy his hands, put on his favorite cartoon of the day and grabbed my scissors to clean up his side burns and get the hair out of his eyes. I had hardly gotten started when he very suddenly decided to turn his head and show me how many cheerios he could fit into one hand. As you can guess, this did not end well. In fact, I missed his hair all together and lopped off the top of his left ear instead.


I was devistated! Wonder Dad was a 20 minute drive away at work and couldn't get home to us, but a neighbor came to the rescue and whisked us off to the doctor's office. Thankfully the Boy didn't need any stitches, but Momma's heart was permanently scarred, so this would be the last time I got near him with scissors.

However, Daddy came to the rescue with a set of hair clippers. Neither of us had much in the way of skill with them though, so the end result was the buzz cut you see above. The Boy didn't mind. It was a super hot summer, and we told him the cut made him more aerodynamic and therefore faster on the soccer pitch. He was small enough to buy into it, so all was well.

These days, the boy has a good relationship with the family stylist - she's been cutting Wonder Dad's hair since long before Wonder Boy came along and these days she keeps all of us looking our best. However, pandemic living has ended our visits to the salon. So once again we are relying on the clippers Wonder Dad brought home all those years ago. Thankfully, we are much more skilled with the clippers these days and do not have to resort to a full on buzz cut.


All things considered, I think Wonder Boy looks rather handsome! I know he will be glad to get back to the Salon, but until then, at least we can keep his sideburns under control and keep the hair out of his eyes. I guess some things never change!

No comments:

Post a Comment