Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Project 14 to 14: Day 3

It's day 3 of this project and so far, the Boy has been a pretty willing participant (even if I haven't told him where the pictures are going)!

Today I wanted to highlight a particular fashion statement that is a signature of Wonder Boy and many of his friends: plain black crew socks.


Honestly, this particular looks could pretty much be representative of Wonder Boy on any given day: cargo shorts, plain colored t-shirt (though the color is not terribly important as long as it's not "girly"), black crew socks, and running shoes. That is his chosen uniform.

It doesn't matter if we are going out to dinner, heading out to church, or preparing for a school day - given a choice, THIS is what the Boy will pull out of his closet.

One of the ladies at work (who has a son just a bit older than my Boy) calls these plain black crew socks "old man socks." I'm not sure I would go that far in describing them, but it does strike me a bit funny - you just never know what the "in" fashion thing is going to be at any age. And please note: she's not putting down Wonder Boy (or her own son who often sports the same fashion statement). It's just one of those quirky things that strikes a chord with her - with us both, I guess.

I have no room to talk, of course. I grew up in the days of big hair and neon EVERYTHING (*shudder*). Heck, even our wedding photos look like the colors were pulled right off of an episode of Miami Vice (oops! there I go showing my age again!).

But seeing the Boy pull these on each morning does bring a smile to my face. And it makes me wonder if he will look back on these photos some day and wonder (much as I do when I browse my high school year books) "What was I thinking?!"

For our look back today, we flash back to the fall of 2003, a couple of weeks before the Boy turned 2 years old.


I don't have some great story about this image, but I wanted to share it anyway. Our Boy has always been easy to share a smile (in familiar settings, anyway). And he's always had an abundance of energy. One of the ways in which we siphoned off some of that energy was regular trips to the neighborhood park - that's where this picture was snapped - on the stairs leading up to the twisty slide. You can tell by the look on his face he's ready and rarin' to go!

That's our Boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment