Thursday, September 19, 2019

Project 18 to 18: Day 3

La BendiciĆ³n

I like to say that I've always been a "hands on" mom, but it's probably more accurate to call me a Helicopter. And while I may hover about more than he would like, I hope that I've done so with enough space for Wonder Boy to grow and flourish.

Seeing him behind the wheel of a car is one of those moments where, even if I wanted to embrace my Helicopter title, there is little that can be done, but let go and let God, as they say.

So, every day when the Boy pulls out of the driveway without me, I say some variation of the following prayer:
May God bless and keep you.
May He guide your steps and guard your heart.
May He deliver you to school and return you home again safely at the end of the day.
May He open your mind to help you take advantages of the learning opportunities of the day and to perform to your fullest potential in every situation.
May He shroud you in His peace, love, and understanding in order to make you a good friend, a good classmate, and a good student.
May He help you to make good decisions and to show respect for those that are there to teach and support you.
May He reassure you that you are loved beyond measure.
In Christ's name,
Amen.

Looking back to 2003 and the Boy's first set of wheels, I'll admit that I felt obligated to hover near by to handle any technical difficulties he might encounter. Like today, he didn't really want me to hang around so much, but at that age he had little to no say in the matter.

Wonder Boy, then and now, is confident behind the wheel but not terribly adventurous. And I'm OK with that. He can get where he needs to go and when called for, he is more than capable of traveling outside of his comfort zone.

Back then, like today, whenever he ventured beyond my sphere of immediate influence, all I could do was say a prayer and hope for the best. His track record so far is pretty good. And I'll just keep praying that it stays that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment