Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Project 18 to 18: Day 1

Firsts and Lasts

Hip, Hip, Hooray! Today marks the start of my all-time favorite annual photo project - the countdown to Wonder Boy's birthday!

This year, more than any other, I often find myself lost in nostalgia, remembering so many firsts. In contrast, Wonder Boy is focused much more on all of the lasts that are looming on the calendar. He recently had his last-first-day of high school, for example! He's counting down the days until he can cross off his last orchestra concert, his last fight out of the school parking lot, his last summer at home.

Personally, as we wind down the last days of him being a minor, I am in total denial to all of these lasts that he so gleefully crosses off the calendar. And while I enjoy looking back over all of the firsts, I'm shaking in my shoes about a new set of unknowable firsts to come - the first day at college, the first serious relationship, the first taste of adulthood and freedom.


Today, however, I'm thinking about our first first - our first day together! The photo on the left was taken just a few hours after Wonder Boy made way his into this world. It has at once been SO LONG since he fit in my arms like that and yet if I close my eyes, I can still feel the gentle weight of his head on the crook of my arm like it was yesterday.

The picture on the right may well turn out to be a last - the last start to my favorite photo project of the year - since I am unsure if I will be able to continue this tradition once the Boy is out of the house. And you will note that these days I fit better on his arm than he on mine.

I know I'm starting off the project this year looking back, but while I might miss those early days on some level, I have no desire to return to that time. The young man so willing to give me a place to rest my head is an amazing guy and I honestly DO look forward to seeing just what paths he might take over the next few months and years!

And on THAT note, I will offer my last thought for this day: Let's roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment